You meet all the conditions for participation in the Student Exchange Program? Perfect! Here is an overview of the administrative formalities you’ll also be required to go through. Warning: with these formalities, each case is different. Don’t hesitate to contact your university to ask for advice.

  • Passport: If you haven’t already done so, you must obtain a passport valid for the entire duration of your stay abroad. If your passport needs to be renewed, get those procedures underway as soon as possible!
  • Health and hospitalization insurance:
    • You must also secure — prior to leaving the country — a medical insurance policy that will provide you with adequate protection in the event of an accident or illness.
    • If you are a citizen of Belgium, France, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Romania or Sweden, you should know that your country has entered into bilateral healthcare agreements with Quebec. It will therefore be possible for you to benefit from coverage under the Régie de lassurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) (Quebec’s public health insurance plan) as soon as you arrive. For this purpose, stock up on the required forms by visiting the corresponding organizations in your country before your departure. Find all the information here .


To tilt the odds in your favor, avoid putting these administrative procedures off, they require several weeks to complete. For an estimation of processing times, visit the relevant pages on the Ministère de l’immigration du Québec’s website and Citizenship and Immigration Canada .