You meet all the conditions for participation in the Student Exchange Program? Perfect! Here is an overview of the administrative formalities you’ll also be required to go through. Warning: with these formalities, each case is different. Don’t hesitate to contact your university to ask for advice.


  • Passport: You must have a valid passport in your possession for the entire duration of your stay. Certain countries even require that this passport be valid for 6 months past your return date. Your passport is expired or expires soon? Visit ppt.gc.ca and make sure you receive your new passport in time!
  • Visa: If you’ve been approved to pursue your studies abroad as part of the Student Exchange Program, you’ll need a visa to be authorized entry into your host country. This visa can only be delivered by that country’s authorities. Quickly get in touch with your host country’s embassy or consulate to find out which type of visa you’ll need and what the costs are for obtaining it. You’ll be required to provide several documents, such as your letter of admission from the institution that will be hosting you as well as proof that you have sufficient funds for your study period abroad, look into this by contacting the consulate or the embassy.
    Ensure your own peace of mind by taking processing time* into consideration in order to receive your visa several days before your departure!
    *Generally, applying for a visa approximately 4 months before departure is recommended.


  • Health and hospitalization insurance:
    • If you are admitted to the SEP, you must secure — prior to leaving the country — a medical insurance policy that will provide you with adequate protection in the event of an accident or illness.
    • RAMQ: If you’re travelling to France, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Luxembourg or Portugal, please note that the Régie de lassurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) (the Quebec health insurance board) has entered into agreements with these countries. These agreements allow you to benefit from these countries’ healthcare services as its own citizens do. Contact the RAMQ to find out which procedures are required in order to obtain this protection, and to obtain the appropriate forms to do so. Be careful, however, the RAMQ does not offer full coverage, so you’ll need to purchase a complementary medical insurance policy.