Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM)
The Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM) is a French-language public university with an international influence.
The originality and specific features of its programs, its cutting-edge research often focused on social concerns as well as its innovations in creation have contributed to its reputation.
UQAM is also distinguished by the quality of its educational support, the availability of its teachers and the livel life on campus, situated in downtown Montreal at the heart of the “knowledge economy”. To all the incomparable cultural facilities located near the campus is added the Grande Bibliothèque of Quebec.
405 Rue Sainte-Catherine Est
Montréal, QC H2L 2C4
Creative, open and dynamic, UQAM welcomes more than 38,000 students annually, including more than 3,800 international students from 95 countries on five continents.
Points of interest
Festivals & Nightlife
Maritime & Fluvial City
Fields of study
- Applied Sciences (other than Engineering)
- Fine Arts
- Pure Sciences
Applicable for the academic year 2021-2022
- April 1, 2021 (Fall semester)
- May 15, 2021 (Winter semester)
UQAM will not accept students in the second round for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Applying to UQAM
Admission requirements and conditions of participation :
- The candidate must identify only one program of studies from the List of programs open to exchange students.
- The program chosen by the student must be found in the drop down menu on the BCI form.
- Admission criteria can be found in the document Programs with Admission Requirements (Programmes d’études avec particularités d’admission). Some programs of studies have established admission criteria and conditions of participation for exchange students. Be sure to understand those criteria and conditions before applying.
- Information about the programs of studies can be found at the UQAM Registrar website, programs can be found by their code.
Documents à joindre au dossier de candidature :
- BCI application form
- Copy of the birth certificate (names of both parents must figure on the document)For the complete list of required documents, please consult the International Relations Service website.
For the complete list of required documents, please consult the International Relations Service website.
Applicants must complete the MoveON form which they will receive by email once they have been nominated by their institution. Then, they will have to complete their application via the MoveON platform by uploading all the required documents by April 1, 2021 or September 15, 2021 at the latest.
- Candidates will receive an official answer at their personal address after June 1st (November 1st for the Winter semester).
- The Registrar at UQAM reserves the right to refuse any application that is incomplete or received after the deadline.
All decisions by the Registrar are final.
Specific requirements for certain programs
The spots available for exchange students and admissions criteria are determined by each program of studies. Details can be found in the document Programs with specific admission requirements.
Students from non-french speaking universities are required to provide appropriate test results in French from a recognized organization. The minimum level accepted is Intermediate / Advanced or equivalent to B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. The proof of language proficiency in French must have been issued in the last year.
Test results from the following organizations are accepted :
- School of languages or French Department at your home university
- TFI (test de français international)
- TCF (test de connaissance du français)
- DELF (Diplôme d’études en langue française)
- DALF (Diplôme approfondi de langue française)
IMPORTANT — If a student cannot provide any of the above list, one will have to do the French test offered online at UQAM. Fees of 60.00 $ CAD will apply.
Programs offered to exchange students
The list of programs that are offered to exchange students can be found here: Study programs open to exchange students.
- All candidates must fill the course selection form in order to submit a course selection at UQAM. This form must be approved by the exchange program coordinator at the home university;
- Students must select their courses from only one program of studies and from only one level (Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctorate);
- Courses are grouped according to their program and can be found under the tab Cours à suivre et horaires;
- It is recommended that you present a comprehensive selection of courses with your application (to permit alternatives). A successful admission in an exchange program does not guarantee access to all the courses you have selected. Certain courses may require prerequisites or may not be offered during your stay;
- Scheduling information for fall courses are available in January and winter courses in July;
- All courses identified as ateliers (workshop), stages (internships) or séminaires d’intégration are not offered to exchange students.
- The majority of courses offered at UQAM are worth 3 credits. A three-credit course corresponds to forty-five (45) class hours over 15 weeks or 3 class hours per week;
- For each course credit, you should calculate 45 hours of study outside of class hours;
- All exchange students must be enroled in a full-time course load;
- The number of credits (per semester) required to be a full-time student :
- Undergraduate Studies (including certificates):
12 to 15 credits (4 or 5 courses of 3 credits)
- Graduate Studies:
6 to 9 credits (2 to 3 courses of 3 credits)
- Undergraduate Studies (including certificates):
IMPORTANT – Students applying to courses from post-graduate programs must include a list of the titles and descriptions of the courses being taken in the present academic year with their applications.
Fall: September 7th – December 22rd 2021
Winter: January 10th – May 1st 2022
- All exchange students must respect the beginning dates as indicated in the academic calendar
- Any students unable to attend the beginning of classes will be required to withdraw from their exchange program.
- No exchange student is allowed to take courses during the summer semester.
IMPORTANT –Work and off-campus internships are not available for exchange students. All research supervision must be assumed by the student’s home university. Exchange students are not authorised to register for internship courses at UQAM.
An admission at UQAM doesn’t guarantee a place in the on-campus dorms. For more information about on-campus dorms, students may contact them directly.
For more information on accommodation options.
There are no limitations regarding the number of applications that can be sent from each partner institution.